Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tri

In an effort to check another fitness goal off my bucket list I completed my first triathlon (sprint) last weekend.
1/4 mile swim, 8 mile bike, 5k run. I almost drowned. I forgot everything my swimming partner had taught me. He said: make sure you stay on the outside and near the back of the pack, avoid the congestion, relax. I started near the back of the pack but I was in the middle. BIG mistake. The adrenaline kicked in and I started off on a speedy side stroke. Yes, I have to side stroke because I dont quite have my breathing down for freestyle. I have issues. I couldn't get into my relaxing groove. Every time I did, I bumped into someone. Every time I bumped into someone I got anxious. Anxiety affects my breathing...asthma attack...totally mental. I tried relaxing and working through it but no luck. I felt like I was swimming but going no where=more anxiety! I sucked it up and called for one of the Kayak people to come over "Help". Other swimmers immediately began spreading the word to the Kayak people who hover on the edge waiting for people like me. Kayak guy to the rescue. Sorry ladies, I am interrupting your swim pattern but I just can make it over to the kayak, he had to come to me. It was a little scarey. I was a little freaked and maybe a bit over-dramatic. "I cant breath, my asthma, I want to finish this race, I need to finish" Kayak guy: "relax, you will finish, I have asthma too, take a minute, you can do this, I have done this race, you will be fine". Me: "Will you stay with me?" LOL sounds like a Lifetime love story in the making (not so much). I wiped the saliva and slime off my face and headed out, with Kayak guy keeping a close distance. Suddenly I see people running in the water, could it be that shallow so close out. I touched down...mucky heaven. I am not going to drown, or am I-sand bar. Back to the deep waters. Not much farther to go says the Kayak guy. I gave him a very gracious yet oh so pathetic "Thank you" and we parted ways. I got to the boat ramp and began thinking: "F this. I have been looking forward to this for so long. I was going to be a triathlete but I cant swim, I hate the swim. this might be my last tri. I bought a wetsuit for this? Bike, must get to the bike".  To my surprise my bestest NH friends were waiting for me at the bike transition and that helped me out of self pity mode and back into competition mode.
I rocked the bike and the run. No one passed me and I felt like I passed everyone! Thats what happens when you finish near the end of the swim. To my surprise when all was said and done, I wasnt as slow as I thought I was. 10: 47 for the swim...not bad, I was hoping for under 12 minutes! Ended up finishing 81/202 in the end. I was 163/202 coming out of the water!

I was told I need to do another sprint Tri this summer to get over my swimming fear and I cannot turn down a challenge so the search is on for my next Tri.

I will be taking swim lessons over the winter and I will complete a full tri next summer!
You dont know until you tri. It never hurts to push yourself beyond what you think your limits are!
Thank you Brigit and Scotty for my race bling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.