Sunday, September 4, 2011

Covered Bridge 5k-Henniker NH


9:20 I rushed out the door and headed to my 10:00 race. Henniker is the next town over and it was nice to have such a quick drive. I had plenty of time to check in, get my bib, and run my t-shirt back to the car. The starting line was in the covered bridge which was kind of cool. There werent many people and I found myself at the front of the pack. I passed a couple people shortly after the start and held my position for the entire race-even up the hill of death. The top women's runner at the time fell back to 2nd but she was still about 10 yards ahead of me on the hill. The second place runner zoomed up to 3rd which is where she stayed. I think I passed two men on the hill. One of them got  me back towards the end but I was okay with that. After the hill which was about 10 minutes into the race, I thought I was going to puke. It was the first time I ever felt that way in a 5k. I thought maybe it was because I hadnt fueled up enough. I ate breakfast at 7am and forgot to get a snack in before the race. I think I was just exhausted. I pushed myself past that feeling and the nagging cramp in my right side. I tried my hardest to sprint the finish and my body was fighting it. I saw 24 11 on the clock as I entered the bridge. No PR for me today. I felt good though and knew that darn hill slowed everyone down! Ended up getting a pint glass for being 3rd overall for women. I think the top two women where also in my age group or the next one up. No young-ins at the finish line with us! Time to get some lunch, getting that nausea feeling again. Resting the legs today and maybe tomorrow too. Next on my agenda-5 mile trail race on Saturday.
Today's race bling

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.